Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 95
  1. #31
    Quote Originally Posted by melwain View Post
    I have had a chat with my SXZ expert here in South Africa. As we all know 25 SXZ's were imported to South Africa. Of these Clive Strugnell reckoned about 10 of these were raced here. The remainder were put on sale but for some reason were slow sellers. However, there was an independent importer in Japan who somehow managed to get his hands on 10 of these that were sitting on showroom floors here in South Africa. This was in 1985. So this could be one of those that Takahiro has managed to find. My expert here says that there is a Iwata Tadashi in Japan who bought one in 1985 and still has it. So of the original 25 , 10 were exported back to Japan which leaves 15 (if all survived) still here in South Africa.
    I hope this helps. Clive Strugnell's SXZ in his colours.
    Cheers
    MelAttachment 6508
    That is fascinating info, Mel, about the 10 re-imported SXZs. I'm not really surprised the SXZs were slow sellers. By 85, the showrooms were full of race replicas that were lighter and easier to turn. And the bikes that were winning on Sunday and selling on Monday weren't air-cooled or weighing in at 250kg wet. The guy who owned my SXZ before me, bought a GSX-R, and another mate bought an RG500. I remember a guy on an a JDM RG400 in about 86'-87' asking why I was still riding 'that truck', LOL.

    I still love my truck/dinosaur, and I bet he doesn't have the RG anymore.
    Darryl in E27-land


  2. #32
    To Darryl

    Yes, when I watched this race video for the first time, I was excited more than AMA Superbike. Do you know What the ranking of Hiskok brothers is at this Castrol Six Hour NZ 1981? And when is the date of this race? I want to watch a video of 1982 in NZ too. The Castrol Six Hour and Wire Wheel katana are not well known in Japan.

    By 85, Also on the japanese road were full of race replicas. NSR250 were sold very well in Japan. At the time Katana was said to be old-fashioned and not fast anymore. But I still have a RG500.

    TS380433.JPG

    To Glen

    Thank you for attachments.
    Is the E27 exhaust outlet same size GSX1100SD?
    I had owned a GSX1100SL as first owner.The SL exhaust outlet was larger than SZ too.
    I am not able to contact Iwata Tadashi, because I know only that he own a SXZ and his name. I knew it in a motorcycle magazine: https://page.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/p588538480

    Cheers,
    Takahiro

  3. #33
    Moderator QLD Shin-Ken 1074's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    S.E. QLD Australia
    Posts
    3,244
    Quote Originally Posted by GSX1100SXZ.JP View Post
    To Darryl

    Yes, when I watched this race video for the first time, I was excited more than AMA Superbike. Do you know What the ranking of Hiskok brothers is at this Castrol Six Hour NZ 1981? And when is the date of this race? I want to watch a video of 1982 in NZ too. The Castrol Six Hour and Wire Wheel katana are not well known in Japan.

    By 85, Also on the japanese road were full of race replicas. NSR250 were sold very well in Japan. At the time Katana was said to be old-fashioned and not fast anymore. But I still have a RG500.

    TS380433.JPG

    To Glen

    Thank you for attachments.
    Is the E27 exhaust outlet same size GSX1100SD?
    I had owned a GSX1100SL as first owner.The SL exhaust outlet was larger than SZ too.
    I am not able to contact Iwata Tadashi, because I know only that he own a SXZ and his name. I knew it in a motorcycle magazine: https://page.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/p588538480

    Cheers,
    Takahiro
    Hello Takahiro San,

    From what I have been able to discover the larger 33mm exhaust I have was a system made for the E27 SXZ Katana made for N.Z. and S.A. The GSX1100SD OEM exhaust is 26mm outlet.

    Not to worry about not having contact details for Iwata Tadashi San, it would have been helpful but not essential. With the information gathered here from Darryl, Mel and yourself we can be very confident that your SXZ is a genuine super rare South African SXZ 1100 Katana and that it is one of the 10 SXZ returned to Japan in 1985.

    Cheers,
    Glen.
    Last edited by Shin-Ken 1074; 18-10-18 at 07:48 AM.
    Badgezz, we don need nor stinkin' badgezz!

  4. #34
    Quote Originally Posted by Shin-Ken 1074 View Post
    Hi Mel, great to hear from you mate, how is the back?

    Wow, your reply has nailed it I'd say. The details fit perfectly with the background Takahiro has on his SXZ as one of ten exported to Japan in 1985.

    There remains only one issue to clear up. Darryl has confirmed his N.Z. E27 SXZ Kat has the same type of V.I.N. decal as the decal Takahiro has on his SXZ.

    Clive told me his S.A. SXZ didn't have a V.I.N. decal from new, hhhmmmm? Do you know of any other S.A. SXZ that had a V.I.N. decal?

    V.I.N. decal issue aside, from what you have supplied here, the background story from Takahiro and parts fitted to his SXZ the money would have to be on his Kat being one of the S.A. SXZ being exported back to Japan in 1985.

    Thanks for the vital (and very enlightning) info on the 10 S.A. SXZ and their return to Japan in 1985, much appreciated.

    Cheers mate,
    Glen.
    My back is not too bad but has definitely put a crimp in riding the Kat for long periods of time.

    My informant tells me that he knows of two SXZ's (one of them is his) had the VIN decal. All other SZ's had the VIN stamped on the frame (mine also). He is out of town at the moment but when he gets back he will send the the VIN numbers of two SXZ's (his and one other) and one 1000SZ.

    Right - he got back to me.

    SXZ VIN's - GS110x101097
    GS110X100908

    SZ 1000 - GS10X500403

    This has been fascinating!

    Cheers
    Last edited by melwain; 18-10-18 at 03:54 AM.
    There is my opinion and then there is wrong!

  5. #35
    Moderator QLD Shin-Ken 1074's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    S.E. QLD Australia
    Posts
    3,244
    Quote Originally Posted by melwain View Post
    My back is not too bad but has definitely put a crimp in riding the Kat for long periods of time.

    My informant tells me that he knows of two SXZ's (one of them is his) had the VIN decal. All other SZ's had the VIN stamped on the frame (mine also). He is out of town at the moment but when he gets back he will send the the VIN numbers of two SXZ's (his and one other) and one 1000SZ.

    Right - he got back to me.

    SXZ VIN's - GS110x101097
    GS110X100908

    SZ 1000 - GS10X500403

    This has been fascinating!

    Cheers
    Hi Mel, that's a bugger about your back still giving you stick and making life less than stellar on the Kat. Having lower back issues is no fun at all and it is the reason I have decided to build the DW 180 Kat so I can still be riding a Kat in the future that may be a little bit less punishing on my back when having to push it around. The plan is to have it running in time for next years SOO.

    Your "informant" is a gem! Thanks for your help, I think there are a few members here that have been very interested in the story of Takahiro's SXZ and I have certainly been one of them. The S.A. SXZ V.I.N. are gold to me, thanks very much.

    Kat-ch ya later,
    Glen.
    Badgezz, we don need nor stinkin' badgezz!

  6. #36
    Mine has both. The VIN number stamped into the frame and (had - removed for frame painting and retained) the decal.
    Darryl in E27-land


  7. #37
    Quote Originally Posted by GSX1100SXZ.JP View Post
    To Darryl

    Yes, when I watched this race video for the first time, I was excited more than AMA Superbike. Do you know What the ranking of Hiskok brothers is at this Castrol Six Hour NZ 1981? And when is the date of this race? I want to watch a video of 1982 in NZ too. The Castrol Six Hour and Wire Wheel katana are not well known in Japan.


    Cheers,
    Takahiro
    Hi Takahiro,

    I can't find any info (yet) on where the Hiscock brothers placed in 1981.

    The Winners of the New Zealand Castrol 6 Hour were ..
    1974: Ginger Molloy (solo) Kawasaki Z1-A
    1975: Graeme Crosby (solo) Kawasaki Z1-B
    1976: Graeme Crosby (solo) Kawasaki Z1000
    1977: Graeme Crosby and Tony Hatton(Aust) Kawasaki Z1000
    1978: Dave Hiscock and Neil Chivas (Aust) Suzuki GS1000
    1979: Dave Hiscock and Neil Chivas(Aust) Suzuki GSX1100
    1980ave Hiscock and Neil Chivas (Aust) Suzuki GSX1100
    1981:Mal Campbell (Aust) and Mick Cole (Aust) Honda CB1100R
    1982: Dave Hiscock Neville Hiscock Suzuki GSX1100 Katana SXZ
    1983: Bill Biber and Phil Payne Honda VF750F
    1984: Alan Delautour and David Martin Honda VF1000F
    1985: Dave Hiscock and Neil Chivas (Aust) Suzuki GSXR-750
    1986: Aaron Slight and Rob Doran (Aust) Yamaha FZ750
    1987: Aaron Slight and Wayne Clarke (Aust) Yamaha FZR1000
    1988: Tony Rees and David Hicks Yamaha FZR1000


    Start of the 1981 NZ Castrol Six Hour
    Darryl in E27-land


  8. #38
    Moderator QLD Shin-Ken 1074's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    S.E. QLD Australia
    Posts
    3,244
    Hi Darryl, love the very relaxed pitlane and of course the Kats.

    Cheers,
    Glen.
    Badgezz, we don need nor stinkin' badgezz!

  9. #39
    Hello Darryl, thank you for a photo.

    Are blue seat and silver tail cowl 2 Kats of this side GSX750S?
    Why did the Hiscock brothers SXZ be exchanged for a all blue seat?
    The all blue seat is for GSX750S, isn't it?

    Does anyone know about it?

    Cheers,
    Takahiro

  10. #40
    Moderator QLD Shin-Ken 1074's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    S.E. QLD Australia
    Posts
    3,244
    Quote Originally Posted by GSX1100SXZ.JP View Post
    Hello Darryl, thank you for a photo.

    Are blue seat and silver tail cowl 2 Kats of this side GSX750S?
    Why did the Hiscock brothers SXZ be exchanged for a all blue seat?
    The all blue seat is for GSX750S, isn't it?

    Does anyone know about it?

    Cheers,
    Takahiro
    Hello Takahiro,

    Some riders preferred the blue 750 seat made of vinyl because it was easier to change position on the Kat compared to the textured Alcantara material the 1100 seat was covered with. Darryl will have the answer for the Kiwi seat swap.

    Cheers.
    Badgezz, we don need nor stinkin' badgezz!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •